I was one of those guys that thought Game of Thrones was just another over-the-toply-hyped, nothing-special, sells-only-for-sex type of show. Also, I believe TV adaptations of books almost always leave a lot to be desired, so, I'd rather read the book than see a low quality AV version of the same. Until one day, out of sheer boredom, I decided to kill time by giving GoT a try. And boy, was I thrown aback by how wrong I was about the show!
Yes, the beginning of the show leaves you with lots of confusion about who's who, what's what, and where's where. But, once you sit past a couple of episodes, things start getting clearer, all the different locations and settings start making sense, and you finally start remembering which bearded man is named what. And trust me, Game of Thrones will reward you big - with an unmatched knowledge about politics, handling power, and humor.
So today, on the eve of the release of Season 7 Finale, I give you five reasons, why you should start watching Game of Thrones now, so you are ready by the time the Series Finale goes live:
A Game of Politics and Power
Game of Thrones is not just another fantasy inspired TV series ripping off the Kings and castles era and dragons that come out of nowhere. It's about power, and using the power to suppress the enemies, to conquer the most prized gift - the Iron Throne, the seat to ruling of the Seven Kingdoms. There are battles and assassinations everywhere, but the seat shifts from one King to another not by ascertaining the winner of the battle - but by backroom political deals that increase the unpredictability of the show.
You'll find two main protagonists, the Lannisters and the Starks, but as the show progresses the number of contenders to the throne grow - with a certain Mother of Dragons, and the 'rightful heir' to the throne showing up with their allies. Then there are other powerful players with brains sharper than swords who won't stop at anything until they get what they want. Does this ring a bell? Yes, its very much relatable to the present day political scenario albeit obviously, the mythical creatures.
A Strong Storyline
George RR Martin's story telling is fantastic, I'm really in awe of him. He has created a world that is so detailed and has described the feels very much relatable in real life with such fine artistry that you cannot help but fall in love with him. Each and every scene is well detailed, and the backstory is so strong that you'll find references to the past not shown to us very frequently. Each and every action that you watch on screen has some or the other hidden meaning attached to it.
And the show is unpredictable AF. Just when you start to think the show is going to progress in a specific way now, the directors throw a mind numbing twist that leaves you shattered and rooting for more GoT. The unpredictability is partly what makes it enjoyable, scary and exciting all at the same time. The frequent deaths of your favourite characters will force you to bite that comfy pillow that you've tucked behind you.
Dialogues so deep, you'll drown
I'm not exaggerating here. GoT has some of the best dialogues of any TV serial I have ever seen. You have to hear them to believe me.
From the quirky one liners: "Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less." and "I learnt to die a long time ago" to the ones you can use in daily life: "Everything is fine with some wine in the belly" GoT has got it all.
Writer's Pro tip: if you are in a relationship, GoT has got you covered as well. Just call out your boyfriend: "My sun and stars", and your girlfriend: "The moon of my life" and see your relationship skyrocket to heights never seen before.
Excellent Characters
The characters is what makes a story interesting. And GoT has got some of the best characters you can find on the Television screen. The characterization is so good and versatile that they have the capability to transform from the most likable personality to the most malicious and cruel person you've ever seen. You train yourself to not root for a particular character as you have been heart-broken in the first season itself, but as they say, hearts are wild creatures and you just can't save it from being broken again and again throughout the series.
My pick of the lot? Tyrion Lannister. No questions asked.
An Oasis of Humor and Wisdom
I am a sucker for humor. A character that has a good sense of humor automatically becomes my most favorite, I'm a little biased that way. And that's why I love Chandler Bing from F.R.I.E.N.D.S, that's why I love Aamir Khan in Dil Chahta Hai, and that's why I love Tyrion Lannister in the Game of Thrones. Bronn comes a close second. The sarcasm is on point. And the dialogues will add to your collection of to-say lists in future situations (What? You don't have any such list!! Duh!)
The show is also a haven of wisdom. You'll get to hear some life changing quotes from time to time that are so relevant, you'll note them down and put them as your WhatsApp DP!
Consider this:
Jon Snow: "I think she has a good heart"
Ser Davos: "A good heart? I've noticed you staring at her good heart."
and this:
Tyrion Lannister: “Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you.”
Bonus reason: Conversation starter
Game of Thrones is a phenomena. Millions of viewers flock to their computer and mobile screens every Monday (in India) just to catch the latest episode, and before the spoilers hit the Social Media.
The wild discussions at the friends' meet and the berserk theories that each of your friend has to tell you about the show is one sole reason you should be watching this show. Ever wondered why GoT is the only show that has garnered so much discussion where thousands of other shows have come and gone, and continue to come? The answer lies in the interpretation. Most of the shows are unidirectional, and the viewers have the same level of understanding. However, GoT storytelling opens up a new box of interpretational gift for every different user.
Also, chances are that crush you're trying to woo is a big fan of the show. What better way to start up a conversation with her on a topic that's her favorite? And trust me, if she's a fan, she'll talk so much, you can stare at her for hours without her minding because well, you guys are discussing aren't you? If this doesn't motivate you to watch the show I don't know what in the world will!
Apart from all these, you're missing out on bigger than life sets, breath-taking exotic locations, and magnificent costumes.
Game of Thrones is truly one of the greatest shows in the modern Television history. I would strongly suggest you give it a try. So much of entertainment packaged in one episode of 60 minutes is the best deal you can ever find. Love, sex, humor, sarcasm, death, sadism, nudity - you name it, and GoT contains it all. Now, turn on your computers and start binge watching the show before you get too cozy with your bed again. Winter is coming.

